Air fryer hot dogs taste so much better than boiled hot dogs. They have a slightly crispy outside and tender inside.
If you are wondering about air fried hot dogs and can you cook a hot dog in an air fryer, the answer is yes and they are pretty tasty that way.
We whipped up some hot dogs in the air fryer and I think they are a LOT better than hot dogs boiled on the stove.
Air fryer hot dogs are closer to the taste of grilled hot dogs. When you grill hot dogs on a BBQ, you get that crispy outside, tender and juicy inside and they just seem to taste better. Well, air fryer hot dogs are pretty close to this same taste.
Air fried hot dogs will appeal to even picky eaters.
- Hot Dogs
- Hot Dog Buns
- Any condiments or topping you like: ketchup, mustard, mayo, relish, sauerkraut, etc.
- Oil Mister for a crispier hot dog. If you are using oil, make sure to not use cooking spray such as Pam. You'll want to use an oil mister filled with olive oil or vegetable oil instead.
- Air fryer
- Oil mister
Step 1: Preheat air fryer. Turn it on (ours defaults to 370°F) for 3 minutes.
Step 2: If you are cooking frozen hot dogs, cut a split in them. I've found mine to be on the verge of exploding when I don't do this, but only in the frozen hot dogs. The defrosted hot dogs get close to exploding without slits, but not nearly as bad as the frozen ones.
Step 3: Place hot dogs into air fryer basket. You can spray the hot with oil from an oil mister can. Cook unfrozen hot dogs for 5 minutes at 380°F and frozen hot dogs for 9 minutes at 380° F. Make sure to shake basket halfway through cooking.
Step 4: Remove hot dogs and stick in hot dog bun. Add bun and hot dog back to air fryer and cook at 380° F for another minute to toast the bun. If you want a really toasted bun, cook them for 2 minutes.
Step 4: Remove hot dog & buns and add condiments of your choosing.
Sometimes I like to add a bit more to our hot dogs than plain old ketchup and mustard. Here are some of our favorite toppings for hot dogs.
- Cheese - Cheese sprinkled on top of a hot dog is delicious!
- Chili - Chili is another great topping for hot dogs.
- Chili Cheese dog - this is super easy to make. Just add some chili to the bun with the hot dog. Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top. If the chili isn't already hot - add it all back into the air fryer basket and cook for another 2 minutes
- Onions - Onion and mustard makes the best all American hot dog.
- Bacon - Add some bacon and cheese for another delicious variation of hot dogs.
- Relish - Relish is always a hit in our house.
While hot dogs are a super easy meal to make, making sure we have some sort of side dish makes it better. Here are our favorite side dishes to make hot dogs into a meal.
- French Fries
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Side Salad
- Tater Tots
- Potato Salad
- Pasta Salad
Hot Dogs in Air Fryer
Slightly crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside - these hot dogs are delicious!
- 6 Hot Dogs
- 6 Buns
- Oil Mister - Optional
- Condiments - ketchup, mustard, mayo, relish, sauerkraut
- Pre-heat air fryer for 3 minutes.
- If you are cooking frozen hot dogs, cut slits in them to prevent them from bursting open.
- Add hot dogs to air fryer basket. Cook unfrozen hot dogs for 5 minutes at 380°F and frozen hot dogs for 9 minutes at 380°F. If you want your hot dogs extra crispy, spray with oil mister. Shake basket halfway through cooking.
- Remove hot dogs and place into buns. Add hot dogs with buns back into the air fryer basket (may need to take turns cooking) and cook at 380°F for 1 minute for a slightly toasted bun and 2 minutes for a really toasted bun.
- Remove from basket, top with condiments and enjoy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 874mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 10g
Other Air Fried Foods You Might Like:
Pizza Rolls in the Air Fryer
Leftover Pizza in the Air Fryer
Air Fryer Frozen Corn Dogs
Air Fryer Frozen Meatballs
Leave a Reply